Evil Genius Woman, Thrifty Mom's Diet progress slider

Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Butter vindicated and a solemn vow

I've sung the praises of eggs and how they've gotten a bad rap, and now I've found a great article on the wonders of a truely delicious natural food: Butter.

(lol, before you Paleolithic purists jump on me, let me remind you that I'm a Lacto-Paleo type person. I do feast on both butter and cheese.  Mmmm ... cheese.)

Anyway, there are several intersting point and a sobering conclusion that talks about the death of the family farm (such as the one on which I live and raise my family) and how nice it was to have the natural foods like milk and eggs and veg readily available and free of pesticides and hormones.

Point number one: Butter does NOT cause heart disease, duh.

"Heart disease was rare in America at the turn of the century. Between 1920 and 1960, the incidence of heart disease rose precipitously to become America's number one killer. During the same period butter consumption plummeted from eighteen pounds per person per year to four. It doesn't take a Ph.D. in statistics to conclude that butter is not a cause."

"A Medical Research Council survey showed that men eating butter ran half the risk of developing heart disease as those using margarine."

Wowzer.  Those highly processed, hydrogenated grain/legume oils - especially soy - are killing us.

But the most sobering thing to me was this:

"Who benefits from the propaganda blitz against butter? The list is a long one and includes orthodox medicine, hospitals, the drug companies and food processors. But the chief beneficiary is the large corporate farm and the cartels that buy their products--chiefly cotton, corn and soy--America's three main crops, which are usually grown as monocultures on large farms, requiring extensive use of artificial fertilizers and pesticides. All three--soy, cotton and corn--can be used to make both margarine and the new designer spreads. In order to make these products acceptable to the up-scale consumer, food processors and agribusiness see to it that they are promoted as health foods. We are fools to believe them."

Amen, sisters.

I don't eat corn, soy, or ... erm, cotton *imagines sucking on a cottonball* so I don't get any of that nasty over-processed fake butter stuffs.  But, for the sake of thrift, my family does.  Does yours?

I vow here and now to replace my family's oleo with butter (once the current tub runs out, natch). I'm also experimenting with making our own mayonnaise.  I'll have to juggle a few things to justify the cost of the butter.  Hey, perhaps the savings from making the mayo will help, LOL!

Hmm ... perhaps it's time to finally get a milk cow.
Bookmark and Share
posted by MrsEvilGenius at

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home